Pros and Cons of using Ocean Freight
Throughout history, seas have been fundamental to people across the earth as a means of transportation. The two most common ways and almost absolutely the just two, used for international delivery are ocean freight and air freight.
When you have to ship automobiles, heavy machinery, military equipment, helicopters, cranes, and stuff like these, you have to take extra advance measurements so that these things should reach their destination with extra care and no damage.
For that we use Sea Freight, not just it is easy to pack all these items but also much safer than air transportation.
Sea Freight vs Air Freight
Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.
There are certain things that you must keep in mind before choosing between air and sea freight.
These five things, you must keep in mind before choosing any of the freight for your primary transportation service. Such as if you are choosing sea freight because of the charges you must also keep in mind the dependability, speed, and volume in your mind as well.
Advantages of Ocean Freight
- It is more than 50% cheaper than Air. That Sounds Great!!
- In comparison to rail, road, and air, ocean freight rates are more affordable and especially more economically viable for bulkier cargo.
- While using sea freight the Duty and VAT are much less expensive as compared to the air freight.
- You can save money and increase margins by shipping ocean freight.
- Heavy and bulky items of a shipment can be transported with ease through ocean freight.
- Ships have a minimal carbon footprint as they consume lesser fuel in comparison to airplanes. As they are Eco-friendly, large organizations prefer them over other means of transport.
- Ships are designed to carry dangerous materials and critical cargo safely.
- Containers are constructed to be sealed and locked during transportation for extra security.
- Ocean freight transportation provides several different shipping options which include taking an entire container or sharing between several different loads.
- The biggest advantage is that you can ship bigger items which can include furniture or even vehicles by sea routes.
Disadvantages of Ocean Freight
- Besides every negative aspect of ocean freight, only the biggest disadvantage is that it takes too much time as compared to other freight services. But if we talk logically when we are sending items in bulks and doing cargo shipment. We expect it to take days because if you send those items or cargo from air freight. First air freight will not accept the volume of the items. So in that perspective ocean freight is time-consuming but effective for the shipments of cargo items or items in too much volume.
- Since there is a high amount of time involvement from shipping to delivery, the risks associated with ocean shipping are higher. There might be delays or weather obstructions which can cause loss or damage to the shipment.
- It can be possible that the pricing structure may work out to be less suited. When you have to export or import small loads and in such a scenario air freight or even a courier can be a more effective method.
- In comparison with air freight. It can be said that sea freight can be more prone to damages in transit but occurrences of such untoward incidents are most unlikely.
- Certain parts of the world might not have the facilities of ports and terminals and can therefore not receive large ships carrying containers
It largely depends on the kind of goods to be exported while choosing the best method of transportation. Whether by sea or air and the choice should be based on all major factors as the size of the goods to be exported. And also on when the goods have to reach their destination.
If you are willing to move to any country and you need ocean freight services please contact iShip it Right. We will give you the best quote with extraordinary services.
Read More Articles: How to Move to New Zealand: the Complete Relocation Guide