How to lift a shipping container
Handling and lifting containers can become stressful. We sometimes need a proper method to lift a shipping container. Tools that are used to lift containers can vary.
In this article, we will talk about some of the best tools out there that can be used for lifting the containers.
The high cost of container lifting equipment means they are typically only found in locations with high container throughput. These often act as “freight hubs”. However, handling containers outside of these hubs can be a challenge, and is usually solved by contracting a mobile container handling service, such as a truck crane, side loader, or tilt-bed truck. Fortunately, new container lifting solutions are emerging that make owning your own container handling equipment much more affordable.
Typer of Container lifting tools
- Container Lifting Jacks
- Gantry Crane
- Reach Stacker
- Truck Crane
Container Lifting Jacks
Container lifting jacks are very effective and portable lifting tools. They are portable and cost-effective. Used to lift the containers in locations with lower container volume. There are multiple models in this tool and different models will lift containers weighing 32,000 kg or 70,000 lb.
- Can lift heavy containers
- Handles all container types
- Works in tight spaces
- Portable, on-site, and between different sites
- Does not stack containers
- Does not move containers around on site
Gantry cranes are huge cranes that are used to lift containers from ships. They are situated at the dockside. Gantry Cranes can move up and down a dock, but they are usually fixed to one location. They are very costly and most of the companies look for alternatives because of their prices.
They are used widely on ports. There are smaller, rail-mounted or rubber tire gantry cranes are available.
They are used for lifting, moving, and stacking shipping containers.
- Gantry Cranes are fast and efficient.
- They are used where high turn over of containers are used.
- They are very expensive.
- Installing and maintenance are very costly.
- They are limited to one site.
A reach stacker is a fast and efficient option for handling containers. Capable of lifting very heavy containers, a reach stacker can move single containers around on-site,. They are also used to transfer the containers between the ground, the stack, rail wagons, and chassis. They depend on the model because some reach stacker models can stack up to 2-3 containers at the same time with different height and size.
Reach stackers are automated and controlled from the driver’s seat without assistance from personnel on the ground. All this functionality comes at a cost though, with prices for new machines starting at around USD 500,000.
- Reach Stackers are very fast and efficient.
- They are automated. you often don’t need assistance or a person from the ground.
- They can stack containers.
- Just like Gantry cranes, Reach Stackers are also very expensive.
- They can be used on only one site.
Forklifts are an indispensable piece of equipment you will see in most manufacturing and warehousing operations. Although they are mainly used for moving general materials over short distances, a high capacity forklift can also be used to lift and move empty and lightweight containers if the need arises.
- Multi-purpose equipment.
- They are cost-effective.
- They are limited, can handle only one type of container at a time.
- They are mobile but at a larger level, they can be only used at one site
This container lifting equipment is mounted on a truck carrier.
They are not the same as side loaders.
A truck crane will lower containers to anywhere within the arc of a truck crane’s reach. However, this reach is limited by the weight of containers.
A truck crane is really only suitable if you need to lift empty or lightly loaded shipping containers. Typically a truck crane will only handle 20′ containers. The price tag sits at around USD 250,000 for the lifting apparatus, plus the cost of the truck.
- They are very useful in handling containers in confined spaces.
- They are mobile and can be used at multiple sites.
- Truck cranes can lifts and transports more than one container.
- They are unable to lift heavy containers.
- They are expensive.
- Truck Crane cannot handle all types of containers.
Read more: The impact of Covid 19 on Logistics